Wollongong Galleries and Museums Directory
Be the first to advertise in Wollongong Galleries and Museums Directory!
We are developing wollongong.guide for you and early supporters can secure top of category and page one spots! If you would like to create a listing in Wollongong for your Business or Community Group first Create an Account
Replace this Ad with your content, Your listing updates this entire page!
View an example. Consider what Category might you list in? Do we have it?
Do you like the Galleries and Museums in Wollongong?
Wollongong Galleries and Museums
Galleries, museums and historical venues are great places of interest to visit, especially if you want to discover more about the history and culture of a place. Wollongong, one of the largest cities in New South Wales, Australia, is home to many galleries, museums and historical venues. Here are some of the most popular and interesting museums and galleries you should check out when you are in the city.
1. Wollongong Art Gallery: Located on the corner of Burelli and Kembla streets, the Wollongong Art Gallery is the region's premier public art venue featuring local, national and international art exhibitions. It houses a permanent collection of over 6000 artworks, including works by Australian artists such as Arthur Boyd and Brett Whiteley.
2. The Project Contemporary Art Space: Operating since 2005, this contemporary art space showcases emerging and mid-career artists, the gallery is situated in Keira Lane in Wollongong's CBD.
3. Blue Door Art Studio: A vibrant local contemporary art studio on Kembla Street offering innovative art shows, artist demonstrations and workshops.
1. Nan Tien Temple: The largest Buddhist temple in the Southern Hemisphere located in Berkeley, Wollongong. It offers free guided tours, meditation classes, a vegetarian restaurant and a tea house. Situated near the Nan Tien Temple is the Nan Tien Cultural Centre, an exhibition space showcasing ancient Chinese culture, philosophy and Buddhism.
2. Illawarra Light Railway Museum: A working railway museum located in Albion Park featuring Australian locomotives and railway memorabilia.
3. Wollongong Breakwater Lighthouse: A historic lighthouse in Wollongong's harbour which dates back to 1871. Visitors can climb the tower for panoramic views of the coastline.
1. Science Space: Located in the University of Wollongong campus, this science museum appeals to children and adults alike with interactive exhibits, a planetarium and hands-on science demonstrations.
2. Australian Motorlife Museum: Situated in the suburb of Dapto, this classic car and motorbike museum displays over 200 vehicles from the early 20th century to modern-day models.
3. Historical Aircraft Restoration Society Museum: Situated at Wollongong Airport, the museum houses a unique collection of historic aircrafts, including a Lockheed Super Constellation and a Focke-Wulf 190.
These are just a few of the galleries, museums and historical venues worth visiting when in Wollongong. Each venue offers a unique experience and insight into the rich culture, art and history of the region.
Wollongong Galleries and Museums Articles